- 1 Afraid of Beautiful Women?
- 2 What Causes the Fear of Beautiful Women?
- 3 What Are the Symptoms of Caligynephobia?
- 4 How Does One Tackle Caligynephobia?
- 5 Professional Help to Deal with Caligynephobia – Options Available
- 6 Learning to Handle Caligynephobia:
Afraid of Beautiful Women?
Have you ever come across a person who jitters at the sight of a beautiful woman? Do not confuse being nervous or shy with a full-blown panic attack around them. That person may be suffering from what is Caligynephobia, i.e., the fear of beautiful women. This is very different from gynophobia or causes of gynophobia.
Ask yourself, do you shudder at the thought of a beautiful woman? Is it nerve-wracking just to utter some words around them? If your answer is yes to these questions, you might be suffering from Caligynephobia or what is commonly known as Venustraphobia (fear of women).
This situation is not ideal for anyone. The sight of a beautiful woman sending chills down the spine or causing panic attacks can be embarrassing for people. But, thankfully, there are several ways to overcome it once you get to the bottom of this phobia. This phobia is limited to a specific gender phobia and not a fear of men.
What Causes the Fear of Beautiful Women?
Many researchers have come across this particular phobia of beautiful women and have tried to understand the root cause of this problem. Several research papers suggest that some men might inherit Caligynephobia as well. These men, with time, develop a personality that makes them extremely anxious and sensitive around beautiful women. It also indicates a type of anxiety disorder.
Negative Association Cause:
Some doctors believe that the phobia might arise due to a past, negative experience, even though the theory of inheritance of this phobia is popular. If a man has been a recipient of a rejection, joke, ridicule, or insult by a beautiful woman, he might develop this phobia over time. He begins to associate negative experiences with every beautiful woman he comes across, thus resulting in Caligynephobia.
Some men do not personally have to go through a negative experience to develop this phobia. Researchers have suggested that some men observe other negative experiences and make their associations. They may observe someone related to them or even a co-worker. This association can be unconscious and unintentional at times.
Stress can be one of the triggers of Caligynephobia. Some men undergo stress when they are put in situations across beautiful women. This stress can intensify the phobia building up in them. These situations can often be overwhelming and become a primary source of their phobia.
Men who are more impressionable and suffer from a low-esteem can often deal with Caligynephobia, as they accept any information the outside world offers them. Some impressionable men might come across films or television series that suggest how stressful it is to be around beautiful women and accept that as fact for real life. Not only the media but also friends and families around these men may sometimes lead them into believing exaggerations about beautiful women which may not be true in reality.
What Are the Symptoms of Caligynephobia?
There are several symptoms of a person suffering from Caligynephobia. These symptoms are not necessarily all physical but also psychological.
● Trembling or shaking uncontrollably
● Screaming or crying
● Abnormal heartbeats or Palpitations
● Sweaty palms or hands
● Experiencing nausea, vomiting, or headaches
● Heavy breathing
● Feeling zero control over foolish actions
● Often finding oneself in embarrassing situations
● Constant feeling of running away
● No sense of reality
● Choking or gasping for air sensations
● Assumption of going blind or passing out
In severe cases of Caligynephobia, a person might feel self-conscious all the time in their life. This affects their self-esteem and every relationship they have in their life. While others may not consider this phobia a serious issue, it is a grave situation for people who suffer from it. Some men, suffering from Caligynephobia, might even consider remaining single all their life to avoid interaction with beautiful women.
How Does One Tackle Caligynephobia?
If you are asking the same question, there are several treatments you can try to overcome the fear of beautiful women. Phobias are generally unreasonable, and the ways to overcome these usually include self-help. Only in extreme cases of phobias, a person might need medical attention.
Various self-help techniques help in dealing with Caligynephobia by building up your self-esteem. There are several ways you can rebuild your self-esteem:
● Giving attention to your care: It is crucial to take care of yourself when trying to rebuild your self-esteem. This may include doing what makes you happy, being around your loved ones, checking up with yourself time-to-time, et cetera. This is an effective technique in dealing with Caligynephobia.
● Meditation: This is a proven relaxation method. Meditation is significant to harness self-esteem. This method provides control over feelings and emotions which in turn help you manage your outlook on any external situation. Obtaining control over your emotions is an effective way in dealing with any phobia.
● Building a support system: Surrounding yourself with supportive people is an effective way of dealing with Caligynephobia. These people offer you the confidence and a cushion of support that you require which helps ease the nerve-wracking situations for you. Trusting your loved ones to understand your phobia is the first step towards building a support system.
● Understanding your feelings: Finally, it is vital to first understand your feelings and then them regarding every aspect of your life. Dealing with feelings can be stressful at times but it offers a direct insight into your phobia.
Professional Help to Deal with Caligynephobia – Options Available
There are a few professional options available to deal with Caligynephobia, in case the self-help techniques do not work. They are:
Cognitive Behavior Therapy
This therapy helps in making the person aware of the possible risks of the phobia they are facing. Identifying these threats can help the person understand the number of exaggerations that exist around their beliefs. The risks of being around or talking to an attractive woman are very low. It is much lower than this phobia estimate. Cognitive Behavior Therapy helps in identifying these false threats and change the negative thought pattern a person experiences due to the phobia.
This is another professional technique in dealing with Caligynephobia. In this technique, the person suffering from this phobia is introduced to attractive women until their panic attacks and anxiety subside. This introduction is performed in a controlled setting. This technique does not start directly with introducing actual women to the phobic. It starts with imagery desensitization, usually for 15 minutes every day. There are persistent encouragement and positive assurance throughout this technique. Eventually, the phobic is asked to practice this behavior with actual women. The imagery desensitization builds up self-esteem and it helps the phobic to be normal around beautiful women.
Learning to Handle Caligynephobia:
It is critical to understand that phobias are irrational, therefore there is no definitive technique that can guarantee to erase them from your brain. Caligynephobia might seem unconventional as a type of phobia, but it is as real as it can get.
Sometimes, men may consider their appearance and external qualities a reason to not interact with beautiful women. This may be similar to an inferiority complex or simple stress about the situation. Regular exercising boosts confidence and helps to rebuild self-esteem and dealing with Caligynephobia.
So, the next time you come across a man jittering in presence of a beautiful woman, try and understand where it is originates from. Maybe talk to him about this and offer the self-help techniques listed above.